Embedded Software Developer
An exciting opportunity has arisen at Secure Thingz, an IAR Systems group company, working on multiple products related to our Embedded Trust solutions. We are looking for a flexible, ambitious and deadline focused team player to join us as an Embedded Software Developer. This will specifically suit someone experienced working at the “Bare Metal” level on Microcontroller devices with performance and memory constraints who also has some knowledge of kernels and low-level operating system implementations.
You will be developing embedded software, porting software to new devices and developing and running unit test cases. You will be working with other development team members, the architecture team and silicon partners. This will require developing solutions which work on a range of devices with advanced technologies alongside our global silicon vendor partners.
- Degree in a relevant area such as Software Engineering, Computer Science or Electronic Engineering.
- Some experience of software development for embedded systems using C at a bare metal level.
- Experience in using a variety of microcontrollers, such as those based on Arm Cortex-M, RISC-V architectures, or Renesas RX devices, with a capability to digest device documentation and derive novel solutions making optimal use of the available hardware capabilities and meeting exacting memory and performance requirements.
- Experience in developing, testing, debugging , optimising and porting software that implements:
- System boot and initialisation, including register level configuration of clocks, memory and bus structures
- Low level I/O drivers (UARTS, USB, SPI, I2C etc)
- Securing of debug and application domains within embedded systems.
- Some familiarity in debugging low level software using JTAG/SWD debuggers, logic and protocol analysers.
- The ability to digest low-level device data sheets and derive novel solutions for software operation on high performance data engines and secure enclaves
- The ability to communicate design concepts to peers, senior management and customers through design documents, user guides and application notes.
- Experience of embedded hardware automated testing
- Some basic understanding of security IoT security principles
- Experience of writing embedded applications implemented around an RTOS / kernels.
- Experience with CI Schedulers e.g. Jenkins & TeamCity.
- Proficient in Python or other scripting languages.
- Experience of developing and improving processes to lift the productivity and robustness of embedded development.
- Experience of low-level assembly languages
- To have designed microcontroller-based hardware including potentially schematic and PCB capture.
- You are highly productive and self-motivated
- Willing to learn new technologies and contribute to the team’s goals
- You are committed to meeting deadlines
- You enjoy working in a small team
- Enjoy problem solving and investigative work to enable decisions to be based on objective evidence.
- You are prepared to productively challenge the norms.
Secure Thingz Ltd is leading the way in providing IoT security in a "smart" market. We take pride in working smartly and collaboratively when in the office and are always finding new ways to improve our benefits, so that you feel rewarded and valued. As a start-up enterprise within the market leading IAR Systems group, we offer an ideal balance of rapid decision making and individual enablement, alongside the benefits of being part of the largest independent embedded development tools company globally.
If you would like to know more please visit our website.
Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: Competitive + Benefits
Location: Trumpington, Cambridge, UK.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.